General copyright news/info
- Madonna Gets Victory Over ‘Vogue’ Sample at Appeals Court | Billboard
Court affirms sampling may count as de minimis, which may lay grounds for larger fair use. Does not follow Bridgeport music
- CBS Beats Lawsuit Over Pre-1972 Songs With Bold Copyright Argument – Hollywood Reporter
So, this is fairly spectacularly ridiculous legal interpretation: remastering a song = new copyright??? (via @flohmann)
- Kraftwerk Lose Hip-Hop Copyright Case
RT @FarbThink: German High Court Rules 2 Sec #Sample = #Artistic #Freedom
- Jimi Hendrix Portrait Denied (French) Copyright Protection For Lack of Originality
A lot of these same principles apply to copyrightability of photos in the US, though this result would be a bit surprising here. Article by C. Muyl via @dkluft
- Shapeways Blog – New Whitepaper on 3D Scanning and (the Lack of) Copyright
New whitepaper on 3D scanning & copyright
- The MPAA lobbyist who wrote SOPA will help draft the Democratic Party platform
NS Commentary: Hrrrrrrm. Not out of character. Party lines and copyright are weeeeird. Also, -annoying-.
- We’re Not The ©ops – Copyright, “Compliance” and Communications – Copyright Librarian
©Libn blog post on communicating about copyright and “compliance” in libraries.
- N.C. Photographer Sues State Alleging Copyright Infringement of Shipwreck Images | Fstoppers
RT @Copyright101: Damn. Messy. N.C. Photographer Sues State Alleging Infringement of Shipwreck Images #copyright
- Funny text after copyright disclaimer – but problematic copyright disclaimer!
Okay, funny and all. But “not reproducing…any part…w/out permission” is not “complying with” © law.
- Samples | Keep Your Copyrights info from Columbia Law
Sample contracts primarily about content creation, with some commentary about “friendliness” of clauses. via @_katie_lane
Libraries/Higher Ed/Academic news/info
- Coyle’s InFormation: This is what sexism looks like, # 3
Karen Coyle recounts an experience recounting library actions on open access, and not being heard.
- On Trying Not to Worry About Piracy | IO: In The Open
NS Comments: Thoughtful post from UNC Press head John Scherer.
RT @paoloman: A sensible way forward for university presses Now, it’s up to univs & libraries & scholars to help support it w/ $$
- Legacy publishers are not our friends. Can’t we just admit it? | Sauropod Vertebra Picture of the Week
Mike Taylor outlines some basic fault lines in scholarly publishing that are sometimes papered over
- Beware the Trojan Horse: Elsevier’s repository pilot and our vision for IRs & Open Access | IO: In The Open
- Discussion of pilot program that doesn’t -actually- populate an institutional repository
- Conserve this! : No love for whoever used these…
RT @john_overholt: No putting sticky notes in library books, period.
- My unpublished research was scooped?
Misconduct reveals one way copyright preserves academic values. NS writing in College & Research Libraries News.
- MN Court: No expectation of privacy in condo buildings | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News
It’s a little more complex than the headline suggests, but interesting ruling.
- Did Google’s NHS patient data deal need ethical approval? | New Scientist
RT @FrankPasquale: UK authorities should “have obtained informed consent from individuals whose data Google DeepMind is processing”
- Fake Library Stats: National Donut Day
Librarians and #NationalDonutDay
RT @emdaniels: New Twitter account for a neural network I trained on Kerouac and Woolf which tweets micro poems
NS Comments: fascinating derivative work -and- originality questions!
- Cosplay of a taken-down YouTube Video
RT @Fasdrak: 11/10 cosplay